The text contained in this article is from a Web document that was formerly available at the Sevier County Library's Web site. The document is no longer on-line, but it was located in an Internet Archive. The actual source and transcriber were not identified in the document, nor was there any indication of whether the extraction was complete. Some minor, obvious corrections were made to the text because it appeared to have been mechanically converted (OCR).

No copyright infringement is intended by posting the information here for the benefit of researchers.


Forward

The Medical profession has changed as much, if not more, than any other profession. In the early days the doctor was the life line of the entire family. He was the dispenser of medicine, diagnostician, surgeon, counselor, adviser, and confidant. Hippocrates once said that "some patients, though conscious that their condition is perilous, recover their health simply through their contentment with the goodness of their physician."

As late as the 1920's there were cases of kitchen table surgery by lamp light, mid-wivery or un-attended births, communicable diseases raging rampant, herbal medicines, and few tools of the trade in rural areas. Many of the doctors had two professions because their medical practice did not pay well enough to meet the needs of their families.

Down through the years medicines began to improve, doctors became better educated and began to specialize. Hospitals and clinics were built, and new equipment appeared on the market. Vaccinations for communicable diseases were perfected, and through education, the general public became more health conscious. The x-Ray was in use by 1895, and the CAT scan has done wonders in helping with diagnosis. Recently, a scanner called a Magnetic Resonance Imager (M RI), has been developed that provides clear, three-dimensional pictures of the internal anatomy - a view that before was possible only through surgery.

The Wilson, Broady, and Yarberry Hospitals, as well as the Gatlinburg Clinic, served Sevier Countians well for many years. The Sevier County Medical Center, located in Sevierville, opened in 1965, and is now affiliated with the Fort Sanders Presbyterian Hospital in Knoxville. Almost any kind of medical service is now available at the Medical Center. The County is also served by Clinics at Gatlinburg and Seymour.

Physicians

Dr. Ephraim Brabson II (1811 - 1847)

Dr. Ephraim Brabson II, the second child of John and Elizabeth Davis Brabson, was born June 27, 1811 in Sevier County, Tenn. He died on Feb. 6, 1947.

An obituary published by Knoxville Register and printed by Medicus is in the possession of the Brabson family. The obituary is summarized as follows:

"Dr. Ephraim Brabson died in Sevier County in the thirty-sixth year of his age, in the prime and vigor of life, and in a career of extensive usefulness and rapidly advancing eminence in his profession. The deceased graduated, with much credit to himself, at Maryville College in the Fall of 1834, after which he spent three years in the study of medicine, about six months of which he spent in the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania. On his return from Philadelphia, he practiced his profession at his father's residence in Sevier County. By his assiduity and perseverance, and the suavity and blandness of his natural temperament, he soon had the command of an extensive and lucrative practice.

Dr. Brabson fell a victim of his professional duties.

While visiting the sick, at the house of a friend, he was suddenly attacked with inflamation of the lungs. Yielding to his great anxiety to return to his father's he ventured prematurely but was forced to stop short at the house of a friend, Major Edmund Hodges, within a mile of home. Surrounded by parents, relatives, medical friends and advisors in ministering to his comfort, he yielded to the fatal illness.

Dr. Brabson's natural mental endowments were strong and vigorous; his literary and professional attainments were varied and extensive; his perceptions were clear and discriminating; his manners and disposition affable, courteous, and conciliatory rendering him the most amiable and agreeable companion and friend. He was a scrupulous exemplification of the strictest rules of the profession, in etiquette and the rigid maxims of medical ethics.

Thus he has been snatched, in an un-looked for moment, from his profession, from society, from the sick, and from the poor who enjoyed an amplification of his liberal charity. All are called to mourn his death. Peace be to his remains."

Dr. Brabson is buried in the Brabson Cemetery on the hill above Glen Villa.

Dr. James W. Bradshaw (1850-1911)

Dr. J. W. Bradshaw, son of Richard Bradshaw, was born Jan. 4,1850, at Mt. Horeb, Jefferson County, Tn. Because of his limited education he felt incompetent to meet the challenge of the great field of labor to which he was called, so at the age of 22, he worked his way through Mossy Creek (now Carson-Newman College). He studied medicine under Dr. P. E. Walker for awhile, and then entered Medical college at Nashville, Tn. (now Vanderbilt University). After completing the course of medicine and graduating, he took his life-long profession as a doctor.

As a practicing physician Dr. Bradshaw had sympathy for all suffering humanity. Many times as the cold winds blew and the rain came down, in the dark of night he saddled his horse and rode out to minister to the sick, knowing in many cases he would receive no recompense. After having the flu himself, he went out to visit patients and contracted pneumonia, which led to his death.

Dr. Bradshaw took great interest in the training and education of his children. His favorite relaxation was playing the violin. On Sept. 10,1883, he married Michael Ellen Emert, dau. of Frederick L. and Michael Parker Emert. To this union were born six children: Homer; Lillie j Mae (Mrs. W. E. Branam); Frederick Locke; Minnie (Mrs. R. N. Ogle); Daniel; Iva Bradshaw. Dr. Bradshaw was privileged to see only one of his grandchildren. He delivered and named her Nita Lucile. She is now a retired school teacher living in Sevierville and is married to Buford Brown.

A reprint from the Sevierville Enterprise dated June 1,1882 states, "Prof. A. B. Bradshaw was in town last week visiting friends. We learn that he will commence the study of medicine with Dr. J. W. Bradshaw, a prominent physician at this place." Prof. Bradshaw also visited with his relatives, the Rawlings boys, Mr. K, Fred, Lynn and others.

In his youth Dr. Bradshaw united with the Presbyterian Church at Mt. Horeb. After his marriage he united with the Hills Creek Baptist Church in Emerts Cove, where he was ordained as a Deacon, a place he filled honorably until his death on Feb. 12, 1911.

Information from Grand-Daughter Mrs. Lucile Brown

DR. ROBERT ALEXANDER BROADY 1903-1984

Dr. Robert A. Broady born June 5, 1903 in Forest Hill, Ind. was the son of Rev. William Cowan Broady and Nancy Catherine Hartman Broady. He received his High School education at White Pine, Tn. , and his bachelor's degree at Maryville College. He earned his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania Medical College and interned at the Presbyterian Hospital there.

Dr. Broady married Ellen Cox, daughter of Sam and Anna McChesney McCroskey Cox. Ellen was also a graduate of Maryville College and received a degree from the Philadelphia General Hospital School of Nursing. After their marriage they spent five years in China as medical missionaries.

On Jan. 1,1938, Dr. Broady began his medical practice in Sevierville. His first office was located over the old Wade's Department Store. Later he built the Broady Hospital on Bruce Street and had his offices there where he continued practicing until his retirement in 1983.

Dr. and Mrs. Broady delivered 7105 babies during their career. During influenza and measles epidemics, Dr. Broady's driver would sleep while Dr. Broady visited the patients, and Dr. Broady would sleep while they were driving from one patient to another. Some times they would get no more than fourteen hours of sleep a week.

Dr. and Mrs. Broady had six children: Robert, d. 1942 by drowning; Bill; John, d ied i n a car accident; twins, Joe and JoAnn; and Barbara.

Information from: Dr. and Mrs. Broady

In the 1860 Mortality Schedule for Sevier County there was listed William Bryant, physician, killed instantly by a limb falling from a tree.

Dr. Catlett was born in Sevier County in 1870. He graduated from Murphy College and received his degree from the Tennessee Medical College in 1879. Later he attended a Postgraduate Medical School in New York.

Dr. Catlett practiced medicine in Sevier County from 1897-1911 when he moved to Knoxville where he practiced for 17 years. He traveled by horseback or buggy to the outlying areas of Sevier County. The hours were long and exhausting, and even after he moved to Knox County, he was hard pressed to keep up with the demands of his services, and died at the age of 57 of heart trouble.

Dr. Catlett was the third mayor of Sevierville and his picture hangs in the City Hall along with other Mayors. During his lifetime, Dr. Catlett represented the true virtues of a dedication to his profession by the unselfish devotion in ministering to the sick regardless of all else. He died July 18, 1828 and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Knoxville.

Dr. Catlett had one son, William A. Catlett, Jr. who lived in Dandridge, Tn.

Information furnished by W. A. Catlett, Jr.

DR. FRED S. CATON

From the Vindicator:

Dr. F. S. Caton, son of G. W. and Sara Emert Caton, was injured by being thrown from his horse and buggy four weeks ago. He took a sudden turn for the worse Thursday morning and died Thursday night after intense suffering. All that learned physicians and sympathetic friends and relatives could do was done for him but it baffled all human effort. He was buried in the Shiloh Cemetery under the rites of Mountain Star Lodge No. 197, F. and A. M. , of which he was an honored member. Rev. A. M. Rose, Rev. J. W. Boling, and E. M. Wynn conducted services at the church.

Dr. Caton attended medical college in Nashville and in the Spring of 1887 located at Harrisburg and at once took high rank as a physician and from the beginning commanded a paying practice. After practicing at Harrisburg for some years he moved to Sevierville and formed a partnership with Dr. P. A. Wynn, They enjoyed a good practice and built up a profitable drug store trade.

When Dr. Wynn's health failed him he retired from practice and sold his interest in the Drug Store to Caton and Lawson under which name it operated until Dr. Massey formed a partnership with Dr. Caton and purchased an interest in the drug store when the firm name was changed to Caton, Lawson, and Co. Dr. Caton gave his entire attention to the practice of his chosen profession and was ready to administerto the sick and those in distress. He was a member of the M. E. Church and was recognized by all as a Christian gentleman."

On Jan. 10,1891, he was united in marriage with Mrs. Belle Walker Wynn, widow of John Wynn and had three children: Fred S. , Jr. (died young); Emma Irene (died young); and Zula. Zula married West Wynn and had two daughters, Evelyn (died young) and Dorothy. Dorothy married William H. Norton and lives in Knoxville, Tn.

DR. BENJAMIN COGDILL

in the Richardson Cove area. The place and extent of his education is not known.

Dr. Cogdill owned property on the east side of the Pigeon River adjacent to the present Country Club His medical practice was in the Pigeon Forge vicinity. During World War I he was in the 3rd Training Battalion 1 55 Depot Brigade, Medical Reserve Corp, USA. He died during the war in 1918.

Dr. Cogdill married Becky Ogle, daughterof Eli and Sarah McMahan Ogle. They had two. , children, Pink and Myrtle Cogdill.

DR. CASWELL C. CUSICK

Dr. Caswell C. Cusick was born in Sevier County about 1863, the son of Andrew and Elizabeth Cusick who were living at Trundle's Cross Roads when the 1880 Census was` taken. Although his signature was C. C. Cusick, he was known as Dr."Cad" Cusick.

Mr. Hugh Rogers recalled that Dr. Cusick lived in the Harrison-Chilhowee area and was a familiar figure riding horseback with saddlebags or in a buggy to visit his patients. Mr. Rogers described Dr. Cusick as "a man small in stature and a very good doctor." In her book ,

"Our Tennessee Kinsmen", Aurelia Cate Dawson mentioned Dr. Cusick of Boyds Creek who crossed the French Broad River to visit patients who lived in the Kodak area.

Dr. Cusick married Minnie Smith and they had one daughter, Beulah. Following the death of his first wife he married her sister, Mollie Smith. They became the parents of Minnie; Juanita, Mayford; Roy; Walker; Merle; Hillard; and Jack.

Dr. Cusick was a graduate of the Knoxville Medical School. In later life he practiced medicine in the Lake City area and died there. It is believed that he died sometime in the early thirties and is buried in Blount County. His brother, Dr. Will Cusick, practiced medicine in Knoxville. He is buried in Trundle's Methodist Church Cemetery.

According to Dr. Charles Waldroup, his great-great-grandfather, Ben Davis, came to Sevier County during the Civil War. He did not believe in slavery and sympathized with the North. Because of this he was not welcome in Atlanta, so he moved to Sevier County. He is buried in the Webbs Creek Cemetery where the markers show: Ben P. Davis, 1825 - Oct. 5,1901; P. A. Davis 1827 - Nov. 25, 1900.

DR. JOSEPH BENJAMIN DELOZIER

Dr. Delozier, son of Jesse C. and Susan Nimon Delozier, was born in Blount County Sept. 14,1858. He received his early education at Porter Academy and graduated from the Tennessee College of Medicine at Knoxville in 1886. He also had ten days surgical training at Johns Hopkins.

After completing his education he started practicing medicine in Blount County. One day he was called to Fairgarden in Sevier County to visit a patient, Miss Sara Ellen Loveday whom he later married. The wedding party consisted of the bride and groom, Taylor Fox, Will Loveday, A. M. Delozier, and Will Delozier. Dr. Delozier practiced from his home in Fairgarden until 1908 when he moved to the corner of Park Road and Bruce Street. His next move was to the house adjoining the Ingles where he lived until his death.

The Sevier County Republican, dated Nov. 9, 1888, reported that Dr. J. B. Delozier was appointed to a committee of arrangements and conveyances by the president of the Arthur Club of Fairgarden. A talk was made by Dr. Delozier on the political issues and the propriety of making the Arthur Club a permanent organization.

During the administration of President Benjamin Harrison, Dr. Delozier was a member of the board of examining surgeons. He was a member of the Oddfellows and the Sevier County Medical Association. In 1929 he was said to be the oldest practicing physician in Tennessee.

Dr. Delozier married Sara Ellen Loveday on Oct. 3,1888, and had three children: Alton O. ; Luther C. ; and Irma Delozier. After the death of his first wife he married Florence Finchum. Dr. Delozier died July 3, 1931, and is buried in Knox County.

Information furnished by Dr. Joseph Delozier and the Sevier County Republican

Dr. John Edward Elder from Jefferson County was born June 8,1864; died June 14, 1903, son of William Riley and Mary Kate Douglas Elder. Attended East Tennessee Medical College 1898 -1899. Travelled horseback to the Dutch Settlement, Greenbriar, Gatlinburg, Boogertown, and North the River. He diagnosed the first known case of appendicitis in Sevier County. He served on the U. S. Pension Board. Dr. Elder married Melvina Jane Rogers, daughter of Andrew and Melvina Pierce Rogers and they had six children: Mabel; Mary; Stella; William; Andrew; Gladys.

Information from daughter Mary Elder

Dr. James Johnson Ellis was born in Sevier County on Aug. 15, 1958, the son of William Reece and Mary Jane Johnson Ellis. He was a nephew of John Cumberland Ellis.

On Jan. 31,1883, he married Belle M. Kelley, daughter of John W. and Mary Kelley. Their children were Hubert F. ; Kelley Thomas; James Samuel; and Louisa J. (Mrs. Joseph L. Cameron).

In 1886, J. J. Ellis was elected County Court Clerk of Sevier County, and atone time served as postmaster at Sevierville. In 1895 - 1897 he represented Cocke, Jefferson, Knox, and Sevier Counties in the Senate of the 49th General Assembly of the State of Tennessee.

After graduating from Carson - Newman College, he attended the University of Tennessee School of Medicine and the Cincinnati Medical College, graduating in 1899. Dr. Ellis was a member of the Knox County Medical Society and its president in 1 22. Dr. Ellis' died Jan. 13, 1939, and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in Knoxville.

Dr. John Cumberland Ellis was born in Sevier County on Jan. 17,1832, the son of James Wesley and Jane Randles Ellis. He attended Maryville College in Blount County, the University of Louisville Medical School, and is a graduate of Bellevue Medical School in New York (1868). He married 1st, Mary A. Ervin, and they had no children; married 2nd, Annie Simpson and had one daughter, Jackie, who married Richard Hale.

Dr. Ellis practiced medicine at Boyds Creek and the Seymour area, and was also a merchant. An old envelope in the possession of Pauline Tipton has the following letterhead: "Dr. J. C. Ellis & Co. Dealers in Drugs, Medicines, General Merchandise and County Produce, Boyd's Creek, Tenn." The old homeplace is still standing and is located next to the' Trundle's Cross Roads Methodist Church.

From EAST TENNESSEE AND THE CIVIL WAR, by Oliver P. Temple, we found the following: "William C. Pickens of Sevier County was selected to destroy a bridge on the Holston at Strawberry Plains. He was a bold, dashing, reckless young fellow who delighted in such adventure. As the party of two or more scrambled up to the top of the bridge, Pickens struck a light. No sooner had he done this than a sharp crack of a gun rang out in the night, and Pickens fell, wounded in the thigh. Though Pickens was wounded, the party reached Daniel Keener's where he received medical attention from Dr. John C. Ellis of Trundle's Cross Roads, a good doctor."

Dr. Ellis served as representative in the 37th General Assembly representing Sevier and Knox counties in 1871 -1873. He served in the Senate of the 39th General Assembly in 1875 -1877 representing Blount, Cocke, Jefferson, and Sevier counties. He was a member of the Board of Examining Surgeons for Pensions at Knoxville. He died Mar. 15,1900 at Trundle's Cross Roads and is buried in the Church Cemetery.

Dr. Thomas N. Ellis was born in Sevier County at Boyds Creek in 1861, the son of William Reece and Mary Jane Johnson Ellis. Dr. Ellis was married three times,1 stto Callie Cruze, by whom he had six children: Mae; Nora; Catherine; John R. ; Wilbur J. ; and Sam L. By the second wife, Ida Johnson, he had one daughter, Mary. There were no children by the third wife, Mabel (Mayme) Goddard.

Dr. Ellis attended Chilhowee Institute and graduated from the Kansas City Hospital College of Medicine in Missouri, in 1885. He practiced at Boyds Creek until 1900 when he opened a medical practice in Knoxville. Dr. Ellis died Jan. 2,1940, and is buried in the New Salem Cemetery.

The 1900 Census shows a Dr. Loy Fish living in the 5th Civil District, Sevier County. He was 89 years old and says that he was born Feb. 181 1. He listed Mexico as his birthplace, as well as the birthplace of both his parents. His family consisted of Mary, his wife, born Nov. 1851 in Tennessee; a son, Bismarck, born June 1884 in Tennessee; a daughter, Priscilla, born Sept. 1882 in Tennessee. According to the Census, he was a naturalized citizen, having come to the United States in 1847. He said he was a Civil War Veteran and he had been married to his wife Mary for 19 years.

He was spoken of as a German herb doctor, which means he wouldn't necessarily have had formal medical training.

Dr. Fish was still living when the 1910 Census was taken. He was 99 years old and said he was born "at sea (Spanish). He said his fatherwas born in Mexico and his mother i n Portugal. In 1906 Bismark and Priscilla Fish were living in Knoxville. Dr. Fish was listed in the 1912 Knoxville City Directory. He would have been 101. He is buried in Valley Grove Cemetery, Knoxville, Tn.

Dr. Flanagin was born on the family farm on Nails Creek in Blount County, but moved to Pigeon Forge, Sevier County, when he was a young man. After graduating from the Tennessee College of Medicine, he returned to Pigeon Forge to practice, then re-located in Sevierville. He lived at the corner of Park Road and Prince Street and had his office in the old First National Bank Building.

Dr. Flanagin was paid a mare for treating Mrs. E. J. Gobble and baby of Upper Middle Creek when they were ill with meningitis. The baby died, but Mrs. Gobble survived.

He married 1st Rachel Elizabeth Parker(1867-1897), and had three children: Roy; Mae, and Orlando (born & died 1897). By his 2nd marriage, Sept. 27,1898 to Allie Franklin, he had a daughter Flo.

Information from: Dr. Joseph Delozier, grandson Sevier County Republican

Dr. Gibson, born March 18, 1858, was living at the head of Waldens Creek in the early 1900's. According to Ashley Perryman, Dr. Gibson studied medicine in Knoxville with another Doctor and then practiced in Waldens Creek and Pigeon Forge. His office was in his home. He owned a farm on which he kept fine horses. He was an expert horseman and wore a riding habit and derby when he rode in horse shows.

Dr. Gibson was dark skinned and was thought to be of the Melungeon Culture, probably from the Mediterranean area, who came to America 2000 years before Columbus. The Melungeons were in Hawkins County, Tn. as early as 1802.

His practice included all that the early doctors did - babies, bones, flu, and even surgery on occasion. It is not known who his first wife was, but he had 4 children by her: John; Joe; Margaret; Alice. He married 2nd. Bertha Shular. Dr. Gibson died July 18,1924 and is buried in the Shiloh Cemetery. Information furnished by Ashley Perryman, Pearl Fox, Jean Parrott, Geneva Fox.

Addition from the gr-grandson Charlie Gibson

My gr-grandfather's (Stephen V. Gibson) practice in her article on early doctors. But I hope the wording can't lead one to assume that his training consisted of working with another doctor. He attended medical school at LMU (Lincoln Memorial University) & Tennessee Medical College in Knoxville. He was licensed to practice by the state in 1901. Also it stated that the name of his first wife was unknown. She was Sophia "Sophy" Thompson, daughter of David & Nancy Pack Thompson of Polk County, NC. Margaret & John were the only children in the family to marry. Joe died ca 1903 from injuries he received when a horse kicked him. And Alice died on Apr 5, 1914 at the age of 19.

Dr. Hammer was born in Washington County, Tn. on Sept. 5, 1820. He was the son of Jonathan and Sarah Cupp Bogart Hammer. He studied medicine before coming to Sevier County, where he practiced from 1842 until his death in 1883.

He and his first wife, Eliza C. Thomas, had the following children: Samuel M. ; Jonathan M. ; Sarah (Mrs. James M. Wade); Isaac Newton; Eliza Kate (Mrs. William C. Kelly); Joseph H. Dr. Hammer and his second wife Hettie C. Havis, had two daughters: Mattie (Mrs. Joseph F. Leake); and Elizabeth (Mrs. Charles W. Duncan).

On Oct. 4,1847, Jonathan Hammer was appointed a member of a committee of trustees to procure a note and superintend the building of a Methodist Meeting House in Sevierville. He was active in the Masonic Lodge. He represented Sevier County in the 35th General Assembly in 1867-1869. In the April 1875 session of the Sevier County Court, Dr. Hammer was appointed; to prepare a History of Sevier County for the Centennial celebration in July of 1876. At the end of the history Dr. Hammer made the following remarks, "Being in the simplist stage of society, wealth, station, office, family or position were not essential to any man's distinction."

Dr. Hammer lived and had his office in a large two-story white house located at the then dead-end of Main Street. The old Catlett Tavern was adjacent to the Hammer home. At one time there was a brass name plate with the inscription "Dr. J. M. Hammer" above the doorto his office on the second floor. The ten room house was known by the long porches on both the first and second floors in the front. Another porch extended all along one side and across the front of the house. Atone time it was used for a boardinghouse which was run by Mrs. Letitia Hatcher.

Dr. Hammer died in Sevierville, March 28, 1883, and is buried in the Shiloh Cemetery.

From SEVIERVILLE ENTERPRISE Pub. by P. B. Love June 1, 1983

"We the undersigned physicians of Sevier County respectfully state that we have visited the mineral springs of James H. Seaton and believe them to contain valuable medical qualities. They are chalybeate springs containing iron held in solution by the water and act as a ton is on the system, increasing the appetite and improving the health of those using the water.

Signed: J. M. Hammer Wm. A. Meek"

It was not proven who killed Dr. J. A. Henderson in the late 1890's; but it wasted the life of a promising doctor. The cause was a matter of speculation, the manner brutal murder.

Dr. Henderson was a handsome young doctor who had set up a general medical practice in Sevierville. He was rich by the standards of the time and lived in his own home with his wife, Lauretta, daughter of a well-to-do merchant, W. C. Murphy. He had two children: a son, Victor, by a previous marriage, and a baby girl, Leona, by his wife Lauretta.

This was the lawless era of the "White Caps", a sort of Ku Klux group, who disguised themselves with white robes, white head coverings, and masks. No one knew for sure who belonged to the group. Their original purpose was to warn and then punish loose women who were alleged to be living in adultery. At first the "good" people condoned this activity, but soon the night raids included robbing helpless old people, beating anyone accused of adultry,, and even murder. People were afraid to be away from their homes after night fall, and they were not really safe in their homes.

Another group of citizens who decided that the White Caps must be stopped were called Blue Bills because they wore blue caps and visors at their meetings. There were many skirmishes between these two groups which resulted in men on both sides being killed or wounded on dark roads. Dr. Henderson was known to be an organizer and leader of the Blue Bills. His life had been threatened many times, and care was taken to protect him, but one evening someone came up to the open front window of his home, and a shotgun blast ended his life.

The widow never re-married and brought up the two children by herself. The son, Dr. J. Victor Henderson, grew up to become a noted physician and surgeon in Knoxville.

Information furnished by Frances Wade Ostergren

Drs. Ira H. Hill and J. M. Hammer have associated themselves in the practice of medicine Surgery, Midwifery, etc. at Sevierville, Tn. where they hope by attention of their profession t merit the confidence and patronage of the public.

Dr. Hill tenders his sincere thanks for the liberal patronage heretofore extended him. On or both can always be found at Dr. Hill's residence, unless professionally absent.

I. H. H il I was one of 28 men in Sevier County who were to appear Mar. 27,11843 in Knoxville to file bankruptcy papers. (Bankruptcy was a very common occurrence in those days sinc notes could be sold many times and pass through several different hands. It is probable that Dr. Hill moved from Sevier County as he is not listed in the 1950 census. )

DR. THOMAS HILL 1770 (?)

Dr. Thomas Hill, physician and preacher, was one of the most brilliant, able and influential men among the Baptists of East Tennessee. He was born in Sevier County about the yea 1770 or a little later. He was a member of the Forks of Little Pigeon (now Sevierville) Church baptized, most likely, by Elder Richard Wood, the first pastor of that church.

In 1803 he appeared on the minutes as a member of the Fork of French Broad an Holston Church; he was a messenger of Big Pigeon Church, Cocke County, to the Holston Association; moderator in 1828 of the Nolachucky Association.

Dr. Hill was said to have been a strong doctrinal and historical preacher. His nose an mouth were drawn considerably to one side, disfiguring his face in a measure; but he had brilliant mind, was resourceful, ambitious, strong, and had unusual gifts of leadership whig gave him prominence in denominational affairs throughout his like. He was a doctor, and "good" one; but he rarely made out a "bill" against a patient, especially a poor one. I explanation of his practice he would say: "I have a clear Conscience, if I do have an empt pocket. I can live without the fee." Many in his day were like him. They thought doctor: medicine, and religion ought to be free.

Taken from: SKETCHES OF TENNESSEE'S PIONEER BAPTIST PREACHERS By J. J. Burnett 1919 Press of Marshall & Bruce Co. Nashville, Tn.

From the Sevier County News Record:

"Dr. John Hickey, a prominent Sevierville physician, passed away at 2:30 A. M. Wednesday, Feb. 2, in Knoxville's Baptist Hospital after an illness of several weeks.

Dr. Hickey, who came to Sevierville about 20 years ago, was widely respected in his profession and admired by multitudes of Sevier Countians who were among his regular patients. In addition to his own private office, he served on the staff of the Sevier County Hospital and was chief surgeon at the time of his death. He devoted much of his time in promoting the growth of the hospital and worked tirelessly to help the medical complex overcome a series of handicaps which had caused a loss of public confidence. One of his greatest achievements was in leading a successful drive for an Intensive Care Unit at the hospital.

Dr. Hickey was survived by his wife, Gene Gamble Hickey, children: John M. Hickey, III; Robert M. Hickey; Thomas Lee Hickey; Nancy Jean Hickey; Sally Louise Hickey."

Tombstone inscription in Middle Creek Cemetery reads: John Murray Hickey, Jr. 13 Nov. 1926 2 Feb. 1977 Physician AS USN WW II

John Boring (J. B. ) Housley was born May 26,1874, at Stony Point in Hawkins County, Tn died on June 18,1929 at Kodak, Tn. He was the youngest of thirteen children born to WiIliam M. and Louisa Jane Housley, both of whom are buried at Fudge's Chapel in Hawkin County.

Dr. Housley was educated in the public schools of Hawkins County, and came to Sevier County around 1890 as a teacher in the Paw Paw Hollow School. He was married to Mar Jane Newman, daughter of Captain JOE. and Martha Ann Newman, on French Broad Rive Two children were born to this union:

1. Onie Kathleen Housley b. 1898, m. Ira Phillips Ch: Ruth; Larry Dean; Mark. 2. Maude Carpenter Housley b. 1900, m. Warren Johnson Ch: Marie: Charles.

Dr. Housley entered medical school and graduated in the class of 1900 at which lima the University of Tennessee medical a nits were located in Knoxville. His office was at the Tamil home on Kodak Road in southeast Knox County from 1900 until 1924 at which time he built anew home and moved into Sevier County to the Kodak community near the present sites the Kodak postoffice. From that location he spent the last five years of his life caring for his patients.

His daughter, Maude Carpenter Johnson, related many stories of his medical practice He always kept two or three good saddle horses for riding to "make house calls." The famil still has the ledger books containing the names of many families visited, the records c births, house calls, medicine dispensed and collections made. They also show that 01 calls were billed $5. 00; most house calls were $1. 00, except at night or greater distance; then the rate was $1. 50. Medicine was sent to the sick at home by family members from the office and the charge was 250 or 50 a broken bone or arm was set for $5. 00. As late a 1 982 these ledgers were still being used to obtain birth certificates from Nashville.

The last few years of his life afforded Dr. Housley the pleasure of driving a car, a T-Model Ford, for making house calls. He was held in high esteem and considered a true friend c many in the rural areas of Sevier and Knox County locations where he cared for the sick

Information from: Marie Johnson Temple Grand-daughter

DR. JOHN RAY HUFFAKER

Dr. John Ray Huffaker, son of Samuel M. and Sarah Ray Huffaker, was born Oct. 16,1871 and died Jan. 13, 1920. He married Cordelia Rolen and had two sons, Clifford and Buford

He first practiced medicine in Jones Cove, then moved to Harrisburg near the covered bridge. He later practiced medicine in Knoxville. His untimely death was caused by a fall down the stairs.

Information furnished by Mary Huffaker Proffitt

Robert Hatton Hodsden was born on November 23, 1806 in Smithfield, Isle of Wight County, Virginia. He was the son of Joseph Bridger Hodsden and Mary Pasteur Hodsden, who were married in 1802. Robert Hodsden was educated at country schools and at an academy in Smithfield.

Hodsden left Virginia in the early 1820's and worked as a tailor until 1830 when he began to study medicine with Dr. John Hoyal (Hoyl) in Washington, Rhea County, Tennessee. After eighteen months Hodsden went to Philadelphia where he attended Jefferson Medical College.

By the fall of 1833 Hodsden had returned to East Tennessee and had entered into practice with Dr. James Gillespie in Maryville, Blount County, Tennessee. In 1835 Hodsden was appointed a trustee of Porter Academy in Blount County.

In October 1832 Dr. Hodsden married Elizabeth Hook, daughter of Robert Hook, Blount County. Elizabeth Hook Hodsden died in Maryville in August 1842.

In 1838 Hodsden was appointed a surgeon in the Cherokee removal. He made two trips, one from Ross' Landing (Chattanooga), the other from Charleston. Hodsden's report of the Ross' Landing excursion still exists and is in the possession of his great granddaughter Reese Marshall Ripatti of Sevierville, Tennessee. The one page report for the trip of June 12 -August 5,1838 mentions 28 cases of Dysentery, 30 cases of Flux, 4 cases of Measles, and one case of Worms. There were 68 deaths which received no treatment and 5 deaths which received medical attention. The report cites the Cherokees' unhealthy fondness for green fruit and bathing in cold water.

Hodsden was politically active during his adult life. He was a staunch Whig and represented Blount County in the state legislature's House of Representatives in 1841-42, the extra session of 1842, and the regular session of 1843-44.

Robert Hodsden married Mary Reese Brabson Shields (widow of David Shields, who died in 1839) on August 16,1843. She was the daughter of John Brabson I I and Elizabeth Davis Brabson. In his will John Brabson deeded his daughter a tract of land in the East Fork of the Little Pigeon River, in the area several miles from Sevierville known as Harrisburg. The land had formerly been owned by George Bush and was locally known as "the old Bush place." On that land Hodsden and his wife had a house built ca. 1845 which is currently standing. Based on the Federalist style of architecture, the two-story house featured several large rooms connected only by outside porches. In addition to the house, two original outbuildings still stand. To the left as one faces the main house is the loom house, used for the family's weaving, and to the right is a matching structure called the doctor's office which was presumably used by Dr. Hodsden in his medical practice. The house has remained in the family since its construction and is currently owned by great granddaughter Reese Marshall Ripatti. In 1975 the house, known for many years as "Rose Glen," was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

In 1860 census lists Hodsden's combined real estate and personal property as valued at $52,090, making Hodsden the fifth wealthiest person in Sevier County. In 1860 Hodsden owned 15 slaves and his mother-in-law Elizabeth Brabson was the largest slaveholder in the county with 38 slaves.

The Hodsdens had six children: Priscilla, Virginia Katurah; David Shields; Penelope Brabson; John Brabson; and Mary Pasteur Hodsden.

Hodsden served as the president of the East Tennessee Fair which was held annually in Knoxville. He was also a member of the State Agricultural Bureau since its formation, and was the first Worshipful Master of Mountain Star Lodge No. 197, Masons, chartered October 10, 1850, in Sevier County. In 1855 he was elected vice president of the East Tennessee Medical Society and served as president in 1857.

Hodsden, a loyal Union man, served in the 1861-62 Tennessee state legislature House of Representatives, representing Sevier and Knox Counties. He and Representative John M. Fleming of Knox County were arrested for treason as Union men in 1861, but were later released.

Robert Hatton Hodsden died on June 18,1864, reportedly of heart trouble. He is buried in a private family cemetery-the Brabson Cemetery- in the Boyds' Creek community of Sevier County, Tennessee.

Prepared by Sally K. Ripatti, great great granddaughter of Robert Hatton Hodsden and Mary Brabson Hodsden. February 1982.

Dr. Charles Henry Hoffman was born July 9, 1856 in Hillsboro, Germany, the son of a physician. He was educated in Germany and graduated from Heidelburg Medical School. He did a residency in Paris, France, specializing in surgery. He married a French model while in Paris and brought her to America, but she was not happy, and returned to Paris.

Dr. Hoffman did an internship and residency at Bellevue, New York City, He later went to Montana to practice surgery. While there, he and a physician friend bought a sheep ranch. One cold wintry day he was out on his horse rounding up the sheep when his horse threw him. His right knee was broken so he had to lie in the cold until his friend found him. During this ordeal, his right hand was frostbitten and he had to have two fingers removed-thus ending his surgery practice.

Sometime later, Dr. Hoffman left Montana and became a member of the faculty of Arkansas Medical School where he taught anatomy and surgery. In the summer of 1913 he went to North Carolina to relieve a physician friend who had to undergo surgery. While there he fell in love with the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. On his way back to Arkansas he stopped in Gatlinburg for a vacation and stayed at the Whaley Hotel or Boarding House in Greenbrier.

The mountain people soon found out that there was a physician in their midst and began to cal I on him to seethe sick. Everyday he became more and more involved with the medical emergencies in this isolated area; and although he had planned to return to his teaching position in Arkansas, he realized the needs for medical service and decided to stay. He set up practice in Emerts Cove and, in 1914, married Martha Ann Dodgen, daughter of Elizabeth and Marion F. Dodgen.

Dr. Hoffman called on his friends, Dr. John W. Rogers of Sevierville, and Dr. William Lynn of Knoxville, to help with emergency "kitchen table" surgery. He delivered many babies, some with the help of his wife. For his services he would receive corn, potatoes, vegetables, ets. For the people who were unable to pay, and the family needed the food, Dr. Hoffman would accept nothing for his work.

Most of Dr. Hoffman's 36 years of service were spent in the mountains. If he could not get to the homes by car, he rode horseback in all kinds of weather, under difficult circumstances. Many times it was necessary for him to be up night and day visiting patients in Cosby, Pittman Center, Copeland, Jones Cove, Gatlinburg, Sugarlands, Elkmont, and Townsend. He would come home many winter evenings with his feet frozen in the stirrups of his saddle from crossing rivers on his horse, and his wife would have to take a stick of stove wood to loosen his feet from the stirrups.

Dr. Hoff man taught classes in midwifery in the Gatlinburg area, assisted by the Pi Beta Phi school nurse, Phillis Higgonbotham. He also lectured at the Medical Society meetings in Knoxville. In his later years he had an office in the Riverside Hotel in Gatlinburg and the Ingle building in Sevierville.

Four daughters were born to Dr. and Mrs. Hoffman: Phyllis, who died in infancy, and three who followed their father into the medical profession by becoming registered nurses: Mrs. Ronald J. Ingle (Pauline) worked at the Sevier County Medical Center for thirteen years; Mrs. W. G. Luxon (Ruth) who works at Madison County Health Department, Richmond, Kentucky; and Mrs. Louis Chiles (Grace) who is assistant Director of Nurses at the Sevier County Health Care Center.

Dr. Hoffman died of a heart condition at Broady Hospital February 9,1949 and is buried at Shiloh Cemetery in Sevier County.

Information furnished by Mrs. Pauline Hoffman Ingle

According to Mrs. Lucinda Ogle, there was an Indian who lived at the edge of the woods in Cherokee Orchard on the Richard Ogle farm called Dr. Indian Bill. He treated people in the area with home remedies made of herbs.

DR. RILEY JOHNSON INGLE 1875 -1966

Dr. R. J. Ingle, son of William and Jane Gossett Ingle, was born July 6,1875 in the tenth district of Sevier County. He attended school at Harrison Chilhowee Academy and taught school at Gist's and Boyds Creek before attending Knoxville Medical College. He graduated in 1906. His first office was located on the second floor of the old Cameron- Ingle building on Main Bend. Street. Later he moved to an office his son had built on Main Street. fiddle Dr. Ingle rode horse back or in a buggy during his early practice. When cars became avail to able, he would drive as far as he could in his car and then be met by someone with horses a to take him the rest of the way. When he went on long calls to Emert's or Cades Cove, or if the patient was really sick or having a baby, he would spend the night. His wife was always on figs in the look-out for bed bugs. the His price for delivering a baby was$5. 00, but often he wasn't paid. Once he was on Market Street when he met a man and his son who were selling watermelons. Dr. Ingle said, "You three never did pay me for delivering that boy" - so the man gave him a watermelon. Mrs. Mrs. Ingle was a good nurse, although not trained, and in cases when extra help was ;Mrs. needed she would go with her husband . Dr. Ingle taught a Sunday School class at the Presbyterian Church for many years. In 1895, Dr. Ingle married Lela King, daughter of James E. and Melissa Anderson King. They had five children: Cora Ingle Walker; Rex Henry Ingle; Ralph William Ingle; Theodore led at Ingle (dy); Dr. Ronald J. Ingle. After Mrs. Ingle's death in 1947, Dr. Ingle married Jeanette McCammon. He died August 25, 1966 and is buried at Shiloh.

Information from Cora Ingle Walker

DR. A. J. ISHAM 1862 - 1933

Dr. A. J. Isham was born Nov. 12,1862, died Sept. 1,1933. He attended school at Sewanee before moving to Sevierville from Harriman. He married Uicie Shrader McMahan, endow of Sam McMahan, who had a daughter, Zelma McMahan. Zelma married Dr. Benjamin Edward Delozier of Blount County. Their four children, Hugh; Harold; Ben: Margaret (Mrs. W. W. Grubbs) all lived in Blount County. Dr. Isham and Dicie had a daughter, Willie Mae, who married Lute Jackson. Their son, Don, lives in Knoxville. Mr. Haynes Walker said that Dr. [sham had the first car in Sevier County. It was an International Harvester and was fashioned to look like a surrey. Mr. Fred Rawlings said that he remembered that Dr. Isham ran a bus service from Sevierville to Knoxville in this car, in 1904.

His office was located on Main Street in the old Hatcher house where Dr. Hammer had his offices. He later built a house on Cedar Street and lived there until the late 1920's when he moved to Blount County. One thing remembered by those who knew Dr. Isham was that all of his teeth were gold. Dr. Isham married 2nd, Delta Justice. They are both buried in Grandview Cemetery in Blount County. Information from Mrs. W. W. Grubbs

DR. CARRELL MARTIN 1822 - 1905

Dr. Carrell Martin was born in Tennessee on Nov. 7,1822 and died Dec. 6,1905. The 1880 CensusDistrict3,showsCarreIIMartin,age57,withwifeSarah,57;daughter,Elizabeth,28; Aught Sons William, 24; and James, 16. Rachel Martin, born Mar. 4, 1834, died Apr. 7, 1909, is Mated buried by Dr. Martin in the Pigeon Forge Methodist Cemetery.

Dr. Massey, son of Robert Hardee and Rena Brown Massey, was born Nov. 14,1864 at Big Pine near Marshall, North Carolina. He received his early education in North Carolina, and taught school at Marshall 1882 - 1886. He received his medical degree from Louisville Medical College in 1888, and began his practice in Wears Valley in 1889. He was a sometime physician and surgeon for the Tennessee State Penitentiary. He was a Captain and Surgeon in the 6th U. S. Volunteer Infantry, and assistant surgeon in the Spanish American War.

He was postmaster of Sevierville 1899-1909. As State Senator, he represented the counties of Sevier, Blount, Cocke, Hamblin, and Jefferson in the 54th, 55th, and 63rd General Assemblies 1905 - 1909. He was elected to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of Walter P. Brownlow, and served from Nov. 8, 1910 to Mar. 3, 1911. He then resumed his practice in Sevier County. He kept no books, so if the patients didn't pay, they were not billed.

Dr. Massey was a member of the Baptist Church, a Mason, the I. O. O. F. , and a member of the Board of Managers for the National Soldiers Home. On Nov. 25,1886, he married Sally Josephine Mullendore, daughter of John and Dialtha Rogers Mullendore, and had five children: Beulah Massey Pack; Roy Massey; Blanche Massey Wood; Cleo Massey Wilson; Juanita Massey Paine.

Dr. Massey died on July 13, 1923, and is buried in the Shiloh Cemetery.

Information furnished by E. W. Paine

Dr. Joe McGahhey was born Mar. 3, 1866 in Rutherford, N. C. , near Cherry Mount. He graduated from Chattanooga Medical School in 1905 and his license was registered in 1905 at the Sevier County Court House. He and ten others started a printing press.

Dr. McGahhey married 1 st Maggie Evens and they had two children, Arthur and Clara, After the death of his first wife he married a widow, Jessie Shuck Devall with two children Meda and Audrey. He and his second wife had seven children: Nolene; Marie; McKinley; Mary; Allene; Maggie; Talmadge; Dan.

In 1900 the family moved from Arkansas to Chestnut Hill, and in 1906 to Jefferson City where there were good schools. After they had been there about two years, Dr. McGahhey received a letter from Emerts Cove in Sevier County, asking him to come to the community because Dr. Bradshaw had died and there was great need for a doctor. The following Sunday he got a telephone call saying there were seven wagons in Dandridge ready to move them.

The packing and loading was all done on Sunday night and the family wasonitswayearly the next morning. The Pigeon River had to be forded many times and it took two days to make the trip. Dr. and Mrs. McGahhey and the girls stayed with friends en route, and the boys and wagon drivers camped out. Mr. Springs, who owned and operated a store, rented them a house until the next year when Mr. Headrick built one for them. The older children were sent to Murphy College in Sevierville and the younger ones attended a one-room school taught by a Mr. Price.

After about three years in Emerts Cove, another call came from N iota, Tn. for a doctor as Dr. Buttram was growing old and needed help. Dr. McGahhey practiced in Niotafrom 1912 until May 5,1936, when he was killed in a carwreck while on a call to see a patient. He had given his service unselfishly to the community for so many years that the citizens of Niota helped erect a monument to his memory. The inscription reads: "He who did so much for Humanity."

Information from daughter Mrs. Allene McGahhey Proffitt

Dr. McCall was born Dec. 4,190, in Blount County, Tennessee on a farm near Greenback. He was one of eight children born to John Alexander and Martha Ann Love McCall.

He attended McConnell elementary school, Maryville College Preparatory School, and graduated from Maryville College in 1923. He taught school for one year at Somerset High school in Kentucky before spending four years at the University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Memphis. He interned at the Baptist Hospital in Memphis.

After graduation, he began his practice in Harlan, Kentucky, and then moved to Sevierville where his offices were in the First National Bank Building.

On June 1,1949, he married Grace Runyan at the home of Ray and Abby Sharp. He died May 13,1966 at the Beverley Hills Sanitarium in Knoxville after thirty years of medical practice, and is buried at Shiloh.

Information furnished by Mrs. Abby Sharp

Dr. William A. McNutt was born in Tennessee on Aug. 9,1824. in the 1850 Census he was living in the home of James Wesley and Jane Randals Ellis. His occupation was listed as Physician. Later in the same year he married Mary Burns daughter of Wilson Burns. Two children were born to this union: (1) Mary Elizabeth who married S. M. Hammer; (2) Margaret who married 1st a Gilmer, and 2nd J. M. Fagala.

Dr. McNutt died Nov. 14,1861, at the age of 37, and is buried in Trundle's Cemetery, His widow married David W. Payne of Knox County office to Sevierville, but was living in Pigeon Forge at the time of his death March 30,1932. He is buried in the Pigeon Forge Baptist Church Cemetery. Information furnished by Grace Seaton Whaley

Dr. Ogle, son of Isaac and Martha Jane Waters Ogle, was born in the mountains of Pigeon Forge, Tn. , on July 13, 1887. He graduated from high school at age sixteen and taught school one year before attending Lincoln Memorial Medical School in Knoxville where he specialized in children's and urinary diseases. He was also a graduate of the University of the South at Sewanee.

He began his medical practice at age twenty-one in the Harrisburg Community, where he met and married Mary Blanche Wayland in 1908. Shortly after his marriage he moved to Pigeon Forge and built his office near his home. As with other doctors of that era, he rode horseback or drove a buggy to make calls, day or night. Dr. Ogle bought White Oaks farm in 1924, and moved his office to the old First National Bank Building in Sevierville. In later years he moved his office back to White Oaks where he continued to practice until his death on Oct. 6, 1946.

Dr. and Mrs. Ogle reared four children: Harry Ogle married Estalee Sims; Louise Ogle married Alvin C. Rader; John Dial Ogle married Antoinette Ogle; Dr. Homer C. Ogle married Irene Cardwell. The following is a tribute by a friend on Dr. Ogle's 37th birthday.

"Sevier County is fortunate in claiming Dr. J. W. Ogle as her citizen. Besides being an active physician, he is also a servant of the people. He is public spirited and interested in all the people. He is a member of the Board of Trustees at Pigeon Forge Baptist Church; on the Board of Medical Examiners for the State of Tennessee; on the Board of Education for Sevier County; on the Committee of Reference for Pi Beta Phi Settlement School at Gatlinburg; a member of the Staff of Doctors in the hospital at Pi Beta Phi; and Director of the First National Bank in Sevierville. Dr. Ogle has a broad interest in his community, county, and state, and never allows the opportunity of serving to pass. Happy is the nation which produces such sons, and happy are all the people served by them." Source: Mrs. Louise Ogle Rader, daughter

From Charlotte B. Wynn's book on ISAAC THOMAS, we learn that Dr. Edward H. Pearce was born July 1869, died Oct. 1899. He married Sarah Jane Thomas, a descendant of Isaac Thomas. They had four children: Bess M. ; Anna L. ; Edna H. ; and Alfred T. Among their descendants are Smelser, Bruton, Conner, Pearce, and Byrne.

Dr. A. W. Roberts was born in Sevier County on Aug. 1, 1878, the son of Eli H. and Mary E. Cary Roberts. He attended school in Chattanooga and Knoxville, and lived in the home of Dr. J. L. Yarberry for some time studying medicine with him. He setup his practice in Sevierville as a family physician. He was especially fond of children even though he and his wife, Nannie Belle Williams, had none of their own.

Dr. Roberts practiced medicine in Sevier County for over 50 years. According to Dr. R. A. Broady, 14 years after the death of Dr. Roberts, former patients were still having prescriptions filled which Dr. Roberts had written for them. His first office was over the old Lawson Drugstore across from the Courthouse. He later built a new office on Main Street and was there several years before his death.

Helen Sharp, a Registered nurse, worked with Dr. Roberts for 42 years. She was very proficient in her career and was considered by many to be as good, if not better, than Dr. Roberts. She was a graduate of Bellevue Hospital in New York City and came to Sevierville to work in the Health Department. She was instrumental in cleaning up the section known as "Frog Alley", and had started on the entire county when she left the department to work for Dr. Roberts.

Dr. Roberts died July 7, 1960 and is buried in the Alder Branch Cemetery.

Information furnished by Helen Sharp Ruth Williams

Dr. James Rogers, known by the familiar name of Dr. Jim, was born in Sevier County Apr. 13, 1870, the son of Andrew and Melvina Pierce Rogers. He was educated at Harrison Chilhowee Academy and Knoxville Medical College. For a time he was a teacher in the Wartburg, Tn. schools.

On Aug. 19,1896, Dr. Rogers married Porter Blake, daughter of William and Adeline Cobb Blake. Their children were (1) Lucy Marion m. Edward C. Baker; (2) Anna Mae m Arlie Cutshaw; (3) William Blake m. Zelma Cutshaw; (4) C. Glen m. Edra Mayes.

Dr. Rogers practiced medicine in the Sevier and Blount County areas, riding horseback, around the turn of the century. Many people still remember the dedicated "Dr. Jim." He died Sept. 3,1940.

DR. JOHN WILLOUGHBY ROGERS 1851 - 1896

Dr. Rogers, son of Melvina Pierce and Andrew Rogers, was born Dec. 16,1851, in Sevier County, Tn. After receiving his medical training at Johns Hopkins at Nashville, he returned to Sevier County to practice. He lived in the area of Henderson Springs. In 1889 he was appointed to the new examining board in Sevierville.

Dr. Rogers married Elizabeth Jane Thompson, daughter of Elbert Thompson, and had four children: William Ernest; Clifford Hope; Minnie Vistula; and Andrew Edwin. He died Apr. 7, 1896 at age 45, and is buried at Shiloh. His wife later moved to Fletcher, Okla. with her daughter, and is buried there.

DR. JOHN WRIGHT ROGERS 1872 - 1923

Dr. Rogers was born in Blount County, son of William Benjamin and Rebecca McClanahan Rogers. He graduated from Harrison Chilhowee Academy, and the Normal School, which was located between Seymour and Knoxville. He taught school at Harrison Chilhowee between sessions at medical school. He was an avid sports fan and played both baseball and football. He and Rule Newman were Sevier County High School's first football coaches.

In 1907, Dr. Rogers graduated from the Knoxville College of Medicine, the forerunner of the University Tennessee Medical School, first organized in Knoxville and later moved to Memphis. He delivered his first baby in the slums of Knoxville near the Old Knoxville General Hospital. After World War I, he took a post graduate course at Toulon University in New Orleans to catch up on the new procedures learned during the war.

His first practice was at Isolate. Cumberland County, Tennessee, as doctor for a coal 1910). He moved to Blount County and was a charter member of the Blount County Medical Association. He stayed in Blount County until 1912 when he setup practice in Sevier County. His first office was above the old Lawson Drug Store across from the Courthouse. Later he moved to offices in the old First National Bank Building on the corner of Court and Bruce. He owned the first stethoscope in Sevierville, kept a human skeleton (Mr. Bones) in his office, and had an ultra violet ray machine, said to be good for arthritis. Dr. Rogers had typhoid as a young man, so he did not believe in starving a fever. He gave his patients small amounts of high calorie foods which were easily digested with striking results. During the small pox epidemic in Sevierville, he kept a raincoat in his car to put on before visiting his patients. He worked many, many hours during the flu epidemic during World War I. Calomel, iodine, and soda pills were standard medicines of the time. Dr. Rogers rode horseback, or in a buggy to make house calls before he got his Ford Runabout. He always kept one or more horses in the barn. His riding horse was always called "Dandy" regardless of its name before he got it.

Dr. Z. D. Massey, a neighbor, heard one of the children "cropping" with diphtheria from two doors away and came over to see about them since Dr. Rogers was away on an O. B. case He called Knoxville for the vaccine and Dr. Oliver brought it upon the train and the child survived. Dr. Massey also sat up with Dr. Rogers a few weeks before his death, and before he left the next morning, said, "John Wright, you might live longer than I do!"-and he did- eleven days longer.

Dr. Rogers served as Worshipful Master of Mountain Star Lodge S & AM, and was Worth Patron of the OES. He died with cancer of the esophagus after being treated at Mayo's any St. Thomas in Nashville. He is buried in the Ellejoy Cemetery in Blount County.

He married Eliza Estalena Bowers, daughter of Joseph Elbert and Elizabeth Sing Bower: They had six children: Elizabeth Rogers King; William Bowers Rogers; Estalena Roger Brabson; Joseph Wright Rogers; Harold Vincent Rogers; Margaret Rogers Baldwin. Information furnished by Elizabeth Rogers King.

DR . GUILFORD ERNEST SHARP

Dr. Guilford E. Sharp was born in Sevier County Oct. 26 1852, the son of James M. an Rebecca Cannon Sharp. He graduated from Bellevue Medical College, New York, in 1881 Later he took a post graduate course at Tulane University. He began his medical practice in Sevierville about 1880. He practiced out of his home on Main Street, near the present day Food City Grocery. Some time later he moved to Trundle's Cross Roads and lived in the J. C. Ellis home until his new home could be built. His medical practice extended over Sevier Blount and Knox Counties. He was a member of the Board of Examining Surgeons for persuasions at Knoxville, Tn.

Dr. Sharp married Florence Irene Brabson, daughter of Benjamin Davis and Elizabeth Berry Toole Brabson on Oct. 19,1876. Children born to this union were: Earle Ernest Sharp m. Mary Bruce McMahan; Dr. Benjamin Brabson Sharp b. June 20,1879; d. Oct. 10,1900 James Sharp m. Pauline Fenton; Elizabeth Berry Sharp b. Nov. 29,1884; d. Aug. 29,1971 Sammie E. Sharp b. June 20,1887; d. July 15, 1888.

After the death of his first wife in 1888, Dr. Sharp married her sister, Amelia Brabson 1891. A son, Raymond Cannon Sharp, was born Oct. 25, 1892. After the death of Amelia Brabson Sharp, Dr. Sharp married in 1899, Jennie Cox, daughter of Hugh and Ellen Blalock Cox, Their children were: Irene Sharp Burchfield; Ethel Sharp Kyker, and Dr. John Sharp.

Dr. G. E. Sharp was an original stockholder in the Bank of Sevierville in 1888. and serve as president 1895 - 1921. He was part owner of Dupont Springs Hotel. He died July 2 1921, and is buried in the Brabson Cemetery.

DR. JOHN TIPTON (JACK) SHIELDS 1825 - 1907

John T. Shields was born in Sevier County, on Sept. 27,1825, son of Richard and Susannah Thurman Shields and great-grandson of Robert and Nancy Stickton Shields who brought their family to what is now Sevier County, settling on Middle Creek, about 1786. He was 2nd Sergeant Company A. 2nd Tennessee Volunteers Infantry commanded by 'I. Col William T. HaskeIl John T. Shields was discharged on the first day of September 1846 at Camp Tenn. on the 1 lt Bank of the Rio Grande River below Matamoras by reason of Sergeants Certificate for general debility. (His own description). At the beginning of the Civil War ,John T. Shields took a company of militia to Louisville, Ky. to enlist in the Union Army. Because he was suffering from a deep chest cold, the exam thought he had consumption, and rejected him. He then went on to the vicinity of Seymour, Ind. where he "read" medicine with a kinsman. Dr. Shields married, Mar. 14,1854, Margaret Quintine Hill, dau. of Joseph and Susanna McMeans Hill. They had five children: Susanna Madora Shields (1854-1857); Loyd Cummings Shields (1957-1864); Sarah E. Shields (18581881) m. Archibald R. McMahan); Robert McMinn Shields (1861-1861); Dr. John Alwin Paul Shields (1869-1939) m. Josie Ellen McAndrew. He married 2nd, Mar. 14,1885, Mrs. Mary Jane France Derrick. One child, Martha, died as an infant. Dr. Shields was first affiliated with the Methodist church, but later joined the United Brethren church for which he was a minister. Along with preaching and doctoring, he was also a teacher. He taught "subscription" schools in Cocke, Jefferson, and possibly Sevier County. At one time he was a tax collector for Sevier County. In his latter years, he lived a type of nomadic life. He maintained no regular home, and spent his time with various friends and relatives in Jefferson, Cocke and Sevier Counties. His visits were eagerly anticipated because he brought news from neighboring areas and his fine mind could interpret and explain various topics of interest and necessity to his hosts. He supported himself by his, teaching, practice of medicine, and a Mexican War Pension. Dr. Shields died Oct. 29,1907, and is buried next to his first wife at the Chestnut Hill Methodist Cemetery.

WHITE SWELLING "A receipt for making a poultice for to cure a white swelling in the first stage. 1 hat crown full of ivy leaves `" 3 bunches of 1 double span of safras roots Toss the whole into a vessel and boil until all the strength is out and then strain and boil down to one pint, and then thicken with corn meal to form a poultice and spread on a cloth and then dust the poultice with fine sulphur and then apply the poultice to the affected part. Renew every twelve or twenty four hours until the pain disappears. And when a poultice is removed bathe the affected part with warm water and then put on a new poultice from tie to time as before directed until the pain disappears. The foregoing treatment will not fate to cure a case in its first stage and has cured many cases in the last stage. The foregoing receipt was obtained from an old doctor on Clinch River some 50 years ago by Martian Baker." December 18, 1860 John T. Shields

"One half pint of red pepper powdered well and two Indian turnips also powdered well. Put the powdered pepper into a sufficient quantity of water and boil some time, and then

add the Indian turnips powered and boil again, and then add two table spoonfuls of salt and then enough hog lard to make a point of ointment. and then strain it until the water is all out. The waters hould be strained out of the powders after the strength is all out of the peppers and the Indian turnips before the salt and lard is added, and you must stir it al I the time you are simmering the water out. Put it on the affected part and bake well to the fire. Good for all pain.

December 19,1860 J. T. Shields

P. S. It is thought that the above medicine is much better to use good whiskey in place of the water, and some use the water and a portion of the first shots of whiskey."

Information from Eddie Walker Cocke County Historian

Dr. Ralph Shilling was a native of Columbus, Ohio, and served five years with the Army during World War II, two of them in Europe entering with the Normandy Invasion. He was with the 167th Medical Battalion, executive director of the 47th Field Hospital with which he moved to Vienna. On his terminal leave he was promoted to full Colonel in the Reserve. He was awarded the Bronze Star. Late in 1968, he retired as commandant of the Army Reserve Training Center in Knoxville, Tn.

Dr. Shilling began his medical practice in Gatlinburg in 1946. Before building his new medical center, he had a clinic in the Maples Building on Parkway, with personnel on duty 24 hours a day. The clinic also became the fire alarm center with nurses attending fire calls by pushing a button to set off the fire siren. Dr. Shilling founded the Gatlinburg Volunteer Fire Department and was its first and only Chief until his death.

Although he was skilled in every field of medicine, Dr. Shilling considered himself a country doctor. He visited his hillside patients in a jeep. Farmers families paid their bills when crops were sold. For poor famlies there was no charge. I n addition to the heavy load of local patients, Dr. Shilling counted visitors to the Smokies as part of his community, and gave countless numbers of them his medical expertise during emergencies. He and his wife Elenora Innis Shilling had three children: Nancy Lingerfelt; Betsy Jackson; and Ralph Dickson Shilling.

Dr. Shilling died May 21,1972, and is buried in the Smoky Mountains Memory Garden at Pigeon Forge, Tn.

Information from obituary in the News Record

DR. ROBERT SNEAD

Dr. Robert Snead was born Dec. 20, 1820; died Jan. 15, 1882. He lived on Todd Creek near Strawberry Plains in a stone house. He married Malinda Bryan and they had one daughter, Minerva, who died young. All of them are buried in the Saffell Cemetery.

Dr. Snead treated James Keelin, the Confederate soldier who defended the Railway bridge at Strawberry Plains during the Civil War. Mr. Keelin single-handedly defended the bridge against the Yankees. He was wounded badly with many cuts. One of his hands was completely severed and is buried in the Stringfield Cemetery at Strawberry Plains.

From BROWNLOW'S KNOXVILLE WHIG, April 10, 1851:

"After returning, I extend my grateful acknowledgements for the liberal patronage heretofore extended me by the citizens of Knox, Grainger, Jefferson, and Sevier. I take this method of informing them that I have again permanently resumed my position in the practice of medicine at the Plains. My office, the same as before occupied, where I may be found any hour, day, or night. When absent, my whereabouts can be learned by making inquiry at Butler's store near my office.

During my absence, in addition to attendance at lectures and hospital practices I have procured apparatus, instruments, and medicines of the latest improvements necessary for the successful practice of the various branches of my profession.

R. Snead, M. D. From the KNOXVILLE WEEKLY CHRONICLE Wed. 18, Jan. 1882 DEATH OF DR. R. SNEAD

Dr. R. Snead died at his home, Strawberry Plains, about 7 O'clock P. M. Sunday Jan. 15, of pyamia, aged about 60 years.

- D. Snead, as was published by us at the time, had one of his legs broken by a kick from a horse several weeks ago, and had only sufficiently recovered from the effects to hobble about the house. It was supposed to be the indirect effects of the hurt that caused his death.

The doctor was one of the oldest and best known citizens of Knox County, a man of extraordinary reading and information on all subjects, and a physician and surgeon of superior attainments and famous in his profession. He had practiced medicine in his neighborhood for perhaps 35 or 40 years and possessed the implicit confidence of everybody in the surrounding country. He leaves a wife, but no children. The remains were buried Tuesday in the old burying ground on French Broad River beside those of his daughter who preceded him about 20 years."

Information from Cheryl Henderson

1892 - 1980

Dr. Thomas, originally from Pennsylvania, was a Methodist missionary in Maylaya when he decided, in 1919, that he needed medical training to heal bodies as well as save souls. After graduation from Syracuse University Medical School and completion of his internship, he planned to return to Maylaya until a fellow physician warned him that his wife's health would not allow another stay in the tropics. In 1926, the Pennsylvania church assigned him, to the Tennessee Mountain Mission at Pittman Center. His territory had a population of about 5000 mountain people and covered some 200 square miles. Dr. Thomas served at the mission until 1964 when he "retired." During this period, on mule and horseback, the circuit riding preacher ministered to thousands and healed them in their homes and at his clinic. It was years before TVA brought electricity and good roads came to the area, so Dr. Thomas used a gasoline generator and a Jeep given to him by a Methodist congregation in Pennsylvania.

In the years that followed, Dr. Thomas setup the mountain area's first asses sible general store and established a cooperative where mountain women could market the products of their skills. He led in the establishment of Pittman Center's first high school, started a sawmill, demonstration farm and forestry program. He helped put Pittman Center on the map with its first post office and took over the duties of postmaster at a salary of $8. 00 a month. Monetary rewards for Dr. Thomas were few. His first salary at the mission was $125. 00 a month, and his annual income upon retirement in 1964 $6000. 00. He gave his medical fees to the mission fund.

Retirement wasn't a word in Dr. Thomas' lexicon. He continued his ministry, holding services regularly in the rustic church at Silver Dollar City in Pigeon Forge until 1979. He was still "the doctor" to many Sevier Countians who literally owed their Iives to him. He continued to practice from his home "Shinbone" until he died.

Dr. and Mrs. Thomas had two sons: Robert, a representative of an Atlanta, Ga. company specializing in water and wastewater treatment equipment; and Laverne, a mathmetics professor with the State University of New York at Oneonta.

The bodies of both Dr. Thomas and his wife, Eva, who died in 1974, were donated to medical research.

Dr. W. H. Trotter, son of John and Asa White Trotter, was born July 26,1814; died Sept. 14, 1887; married Sarah Trigg Emert, daughter of Phi lipand Elizabeth Reagan Emert. Dr. Trotter attended Grant University at Athens, Tn. , and setup his practice at Middle Creek in an office in his yard. He was also a farmer and built a beautiful two-story white frame house which has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The home is presently occupied by his great-grandson, Glen McMahan and his wife Florita Butler McMahan. There are mementos in the house of Dr. Trotter's medical practice such as scales for measuring medication and saddle bags.

During the Civil War a group of soldiers were camped on a hill at the spring near the cemetery. On another hill a man was plowing the field. It was believed that the soldiers, thinking to have some fun, started shooting nearthe man with the plow. Since the house was located between the two hills, one of the bullets shattered a windowpane, traveled through three wails and dropped down after piercing the third wall. The bullet is still in the wall of the house.

Dr. Trotter and his wife had twelve children: John Andrew Trotter; Maria Caroline Trotter; Newton Edmondson Trotter; Lewis Stevens Trotter; Stewart Erastus Trotter; Elizabeth Emert Trotter; Mitchell Trotter; Malinda Caldonia Trotter (m. T. D. W. McMahan); Adaline Minerva Trotter; Isaac Alexander Trotter; Ashley Wynn Trotter; Mary Angeline Trotter.

Dr. and Mrs. Trotter are both buried in the Middle Creek Cemetery.

Information from Glen McMahan

Dr. Peter Eckle Walker son of James Russell and Catherine Eckle Walker, was born May 28, 1842, at White Pine Tennessee. During the War between the States, he joined the 9th Tennessee Calvary of the Union Army where he had the rank of lieutenant.

He graduated from Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, and took a post-graduate course at Bellevue, New York City in 1871. He was a member of the Medical Society of East Tennessee and later belonged to the Medical Society of Sevier County.

Dr. Walker began his practice in Sevier County about 1868 and continued for 46 years until 1914 when he retired and moved to Gallatin, Tn. According to Mrs. Otis Hodges, Dr. Walker made his own pills by putting the medicine in damp flour and then rolling it in sugar. He used a special paddle and a plate from the home of the patient.

His office was in his home at Elmwood Farms located at the forks of the Pigeon River on the left after crossing the bridge on highway 66 He rode a very large white horse when making his calls.

On April 12, 1868, Dr. Walker married Frances Jane Chandler, daughter of Barkley McGee and Adella Huffaker Chandler. To this union twelve children were born: Bart Chandler Walker; Alfred Wallace Walker; Annie Kate Walker Tipton; George Wesley Walker, William Timothy Walker; Hal Burton Walker; Leon Roscoe Walker; Benjamin Eckle Walker;

Frances Walker Hedick; Loyd Andes Walker, Ruby Walker Marshall; Adella Walker Massey. Dr. and Mrs. Walker returned to Elmwood in 1918 for their golden wedding anniversary which was attended by their family and many friends. It was a galaaff air with the piano being moved to the front porch, and both vocal and instrumental music delighting all those present.

Dr. Walker died February 28, 1936 and was buried in the City View Cemetery, Atlanta, Georgia.

Information furnished by: A. W. Walker, Jr. Jane Willis Rowena Schmutzer

Dr. C. P. Wilson, son of Asbury and Hazy Stooksbury Wilson, was born in Loyston, Union County, Tn. , Sept. 18, 1891, and was educated at the University of Louisville where he received his medical degree in 1917. He returned to Loyston where he practiced medicine for 15 years with the exception of one year spent as in terne at Knoxville General Hospital. In 1929 he took a three months post graduate course at Vanderbilt. At the end of this period he became Director of the Sevier County Health Department, where he served for 15 years. (His accomplishments are told in the article on the Health Dept. ).

In 1934 Dr. Wilson began private practice in Sevierville. His office was located in the old National Bank Building on the corner of Court and Bruce. In 1944 he established Wilson Hospital on the site of the old Methodist Church on Main Street. He practiced medicine and maintained the Hospital until his death.

Dr. Wilson was also a prominent farmer in the Boyd's Creek areas of Sevier County, and served two terms as County Squire. He married first, Lillian E. Dalton and had two children: Dr. C. P. Wilson, Jr. , and Helen Wilson Justus. He married second Helen Irwin and had one son, Dr. Asbury Irwin Wilson.

Dr. Wilson died in May, 1956, and is buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Knoxville, Tn.

Information furnished by Dr. C. P. Wilson, Jr.

Dr. Wynn, son of Thaddeus and Dialtha Melvina Seaton Wynn, was born Jan. 13,1857 in Sevier County. He attended school in Pigeon Forge and later studied for the medical profession. He had practiced only a short time when he was seized with rheumatism and rendered incapable of traveling. He then entered the Drug Store business, but was forced out because of his illness.

He was a member of the M. E. Church and was highly esteemed as a Christian gentleman. He was a man of positive character and took a decided stand on men and measures.

On Sept. 22,1880, Dr. Wynn married Lizzie Fox. They had 3 daughters: Vola Henderson; Verta Goddard; Lena Robertson; a son, Philip, died young.

Dr. Wynn died Nov. 30,1899, and was buried in Shiloh Cemetery.

Information furnished by Philip A. Wynn and Elizabeth Lawson

Dr. J. L. Yarberry was born May 11,1859 in Sevier County where he attended school during his early years. His first wife, Eliza Flynn, bore him four children: Maggie, Minnie, John, and George. They moved to Missouri where Dr. Yarberry studied medicine in Saint Louis. After the death of his wife he moved back to Sevier County.

In 1892, Dr. Yarberry married Martha Ann Atchley and they were the parents of 8 children, three of whom died in infancy. The others were: Maude, Otha, Kate, Ruth, and Luther.

Dr. Yarberry began his medical practice in Sevier County in the Allensville Community, now a part ovf Douglas Dam. He worked out of his home and drove a buggy on his calls. His patients were scattered from Wilhoite, Harrisburg, Walnut Grove, parts of Jefferson County, and the community around his home.

During the "Flu" epidemic of 1917, he worked day and night. He was pleased that he did

not lose a single patient during the epidemic. He had one of the first telephones in the county. He dispensed most of his medicine himself since it was such a hard trip to go to Sevierville to Lawson's Drugstore. In the winter the roads were almost impassable.

In case a patient required surgery, a group of doctors, Dr. Massey, Dr. Rogers, Dr. Flannagan and Dr. Delozier, were called in The operation usually took place on the dining room table. This was a big event for the entire community.

Dr. Yarberry was always interested in politics. He served many years as Justice of the Peace for his district. He was a leader in the affairs of the community.

Dr. Yarberry died July 19, 1922, and is buried in the Cemetery at Jones Chapel Church.

Information furnished by Mrs. Ruth Yarberry Williams

Dr. Otha Horace Yarberry, Sr. (1895 - 1978)

Dr. Otha Horace Yarberry, Sr., was born Jan. 15,1895, in Sevier County, Tn. He was the son of Dr. J. L. and Martha Ann Yarberry. His early education was received from the Sevier County elementary schools and Murphy Collegiate Institute. After earning his Bachelor of Science degree at Lincoln Memorial University, he entered the University of Tennessee Medical School at Memphis and graduated in 1921. He was honored with a special award for the highest scholarship for his four years of study at the University.

Dr. Yarberry came back to Sevier County and set up his medical practice where his father, Dr. J. L. Yarberry, had practiced before him. He took his internship at Knoxville General Hospital. Post-graduate work was done at Vanderbilt University where he studied surgery under the famous Dr. Barney Brooks, Chief of Surgery. He also studied at the New Orleans Postgraduate Medical Assembly, and at Harvard Medical University.

Dr. Yarberry and Stella Henderson were married in 1924. They had one son, Dr. Otha Horace Yarberry, Jr., who also graduated from the University of Tennessee Medical School at Memphis, and is now an anesthesiologist at East Tennessee Baptist Hospital in Knoxville.

In 1945, Dr. Yarberry built a hospital on Cedar Street in Sevierville, where he worked until his retirement. He lived during the era of house calls, and he was ready, day or night, in any kind of weather, to go to the aid of any patient who needed him even though he, at times, had to ride a mule or walk. His greatest interest lay in the care and treatment of those who were ill. His personality was such that he inspired trust and confidence in those he treated. He could always spare the time to talk about things of interest to his patients other than their health. He was truly a "family doctor."

Dr. Yarberry was a stockholder and director of the Sevier County Bank for many years. He gave his best thought, service, and knowledge of local people and economic conditions to the bank.

After Dr. Yarberry's retirement, the Hospital was acquired by Sevier County, renovated and it now houses the Sevier County Public Health Department and other agencies related to Health Care. It is now called the "Yarberry Memorial Building" and stands as a fitting and [document stops here.]

Main Menu

Tell a Friend!

Click the link below to share this site with your friends. A new window will open. (We don't collect e-mail addresses.)
For custom maps, graphics, self-publishing, and more ~~
For books and more ~~